Even though the trend is falling, we Brits are still a nation of DIY lovers, but there are some things we should never try ourselves, unless we are qualified. For example, have you ever flooded your bathroom when trying to do the plumbing? Pulled all the plaster off a wall? Or, far more seriously, ended up on the other side of the room because you forgot to switch the electricity off at the mains before tinkering with the lights?
It is true that doing repairs yourself can save you money, but this last example shows that electricity is not to be messed with if you don’t know what you are doing. As long as you use a qualified electrician, you should be safe. The campaign body for the electrical industry
https://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/find-an-electrician/choosing-an-electrician/ recommends using a registered electrician with an appropriate qualification for the job in hand.
Building regulations seem to be getting more and more complicated every year and there are some electrical works that require either a permit or a certificate – always best to check with your local authority before you start. Even if the work doesn’t require it, if you use a qualified electrician, you will get some sort of certification which will help if you want to sell your house in the future.
Difficult and awkward
If you have ever seen an electrician rewiring a house, you will understand. There are channels to be cut into the plaster and/or brickwork, floorboards to be lifted, lofts with dodgy flooring to be entered. And you need to know which bit of wire goes where. It’s becoming hard to see why anyone would bother doing electrical work themselves, especially when there are so many good electrical companies out there. Just do an internet search on, for example, electrician Cardiff, if you live in that area and see what comes up. Then check the certification, take a look at someone like https://evergreenelectricalandbuildingservices.co.uk/ to get an idea of what to look for.
Electrocution is the second most common cause of unintentional death, after falling. Since you may have to stand on a ladder while carrying out electrical work, you’re increasing your risk of injury. Although it isn’t common, it’s not unheard of for houses to burn down as a result of electrical faults.
Why take the chance?